Monday, May 23, 2011

Oscar De La Hoya in Rehab for Substance Abuse Problems

Oscar De La Hoya in Rehab for Substance Abuse Problems

Oscar De La Hoya may have 10 boxing world titles under his belt, as well as an Olympic gold medal from the 1992 Barcelona games, but the pugilistic "Golden Boy" is not afraid to admit to weakness outside of the ring. TMZ has learned that De La Hoya, 38, recently checked into a California rehab facility, reportedly to receive treament for problems with substance abuse.

In a statement released to the site, the boxing champ says: "After doing an honest evaluation of myself, I recognize that there are certain issues that I need to work on. Like everyone, I have my flaws, and I do not want to be one of those people that is afraid to admit and address those flaws. Throughout my career and my life, I have always met all challenges head-on, and this is no different. I am confident that with the support of my family and friends, I will become a stronger, healthier person."

De La Hoya watchers may have noticed that his Twitter feed has gotten unusually introspective recently, perhaps evidence that the work he is doing in rehab is paying off. On May 20, he tweeted, "Stop finding excuses not to live. life is controlled by what you make of it and not of what it makes of you." Later that same day, he wrote, "Take a deep breath and let out all that anger that makes you hate. it really is going to be o.k."

Today, he tweeted, "I'm sincerely humbled by the support I've been receiving and promise you that I will knock out this disease I have."

De La Hoya's boxing opponents know all too well about his ferocity, and how hard he fights. That same fierce dedication should serve him well in trying to K.O. his problems. We wish him the best of luck.

Source: http://www.ivillage.com/oscar-de-la-hoya-rehab-substance-abuse-problems/1-a-352166

Majandra Delfino Malia Jones Malin Akerman Mandy Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment