Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tracy Morgan Continues to Apologize for Homophobic Rant

Tracy Morgan Continues to Apologize for Homophobic Rant

Tracy Morgan is not done apologizing.

The 30 Rock star continues to try and make amends for his anti-gay comedy routine in Nashville last week, which left a bad taste in more than one person's mouth. After being slammed by GLAAD officials, disappointing 30 Rock costars Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin, and basically offending a nice chunk of the world, Morgan is determined to make things right.

In an interview with E! Online, the actor, 42, revealed that he will be meeting gay teens who have been ostracized by their own families because of their sexuality. He will also chat with people who have lost family members to anti-gay violence.

"I know how bad bullying can hurt," Morgan said. "I was bullied when I was a kid. I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't mean it. I never want to use my comedy to hurt anyone. My family knew what it was like to feel different. My brother was disabled and I lost my father to AIDS in 1987."

In his offensive comedy act, which took place at Ryman Auditorium in Tennessee, Morgan really tore into the gay community and showed no remorse for his words. But now he says he really didn't meant it when he said that if his son were gay he'd "pull out a knife and stab that little n**ger to death."

"My dad wasn't gay, but I also learned about homophobia then because of how people treated people who were sick with that," Morgan said, as part of his ongoing attempt to remove his foot from his mouth. "Parents should support and love their kids no matter what. Gay people deserve the same right to be happy in this country as everyone else. Our laws should support that."

 

Morgan will also head back to Tennessee next week, where he will team up with GLAAD to participate in a press conference protesting the state's recent passage of the "Don't Say Gay" bill, which outlaws the discussion of homosexuality before the ninth grade in public schools. He will also film a PSA. 

"By not only apologizing, but sending a message of support for gay and transgender people, Tracy will help many realize that no one should be treated differently or subjected to violence," said GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios. "It is so important that Americans hear from allies like him as well as gay and transgender youth shunned by their families and parents who have lost their only children to anti-gay violence. We look forward to working with him on spreading this message to Americans."

 

Source: http://www.ivillage.com/tracy-morgan-continues-apologize-homophobic-rant/1-a-357661

Pamela Anderson Paris Hilton Patricia Velásquez Paula Garcés

No comments:

Post a Comment